Demarcus Gordon's practice focuses on oil and gas and environmental litigation and related regulatory work. A significant part of his practice involves defending oil and gas exploration and production companies in "legacy litigation," in which landowners allege inadequate cleanup of oil and gas exploration and production sites. Demarcus is very familiar with Act 312 of 2006 in which the Louisiana legislature reformed the procedure applicable in such cases to provide a greater role for the Office of Conservation within the Louisiana Office of Natural Resources. His additional litigation experience arises from oil and gas operations including various issues involving joint operating agreements, mineral leases, and gas balancing agreements.
Demarcus has managed and participated in the defense of claims for environmental contamination and exposure to toxic fumes as well as auto, trucking, and railroad accidents in Illinois, Wisconsin, Louisiana, Texas, and Mississippi. In 2000, he was a member of the trial team that defended a construction contractor in the collapse of a stadium retractable roof resulting in multiple deaths. He also participated in the defense of a railroad tank car manufacturer in a class action lawsuit for the release of a toxic gas in a two-state area.
Prior to entering the private practice of law, Demarcus clerked for the Honorable Sheila M. Murphy, Presiding Judge of the Sixth Municipal District Circuit Court of Cook County, Illinois, and simultaneously served as a law clerk to 19 judges who hear felony misdemeanor, civil bench and jury trials. He earned his J.D. from St. Louis University in 1997 and graduated from the University of Illinois in 1991.
- Defense of legacy oil field contamination lawsuits involving alleged property damages related to oil and gas operations
- Defended Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality enforcement actions directed at alleged clean air violations
- Defense of NORM personal injury and property damage matters
- Defense of environmental personal injury matters in connection with litigation concerning pipe cleaning operations in Louisiana
- Representation of railcar manufacturer related to chemical release and associated toxic tort litigation
Representative Reported Cases:
- Kinder Gas, Inc. v. Reynolds,2012 WL 280668 (La.App. 3 Cir. 2/1/12) (No. 11-1012)
- Lexington Ins. Co. v. Sewerage & Water Bd. Of New Orleans, 2010 WL 4366430 (E.D. La. 2010)
- Minvielle, LLC v. Atlantic Refining Co., 2007 WL 2668715 (W.D. La. 2007)
Published Works & Presentations:
- Louisiana Supreme Court Upholds Subsequent Purchaser Doctrine, LOGA 2012
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Landmen’s Association of New Orleans (PLANO)
- United Way of Southeast Louisiana Campaign Coordinator
- St. Pius X Men’s Club
- Lakeview Baseball Coach
- Law Student Mentor - Loyola University College of Law
Articles Authored...Louisiana Supreme Court Upholds Subsequent Purchaser Doctrine