REAL ESTATE AND FINANCING
Gordon Arata attorneys handle a wide array of real estate transactions and related matters. We represent public and private developers (including real estate investment trusts), shopping center and apartment complex owners, banks, commercial lessors and lessees and insurance companies in such diverse matters as:
- Closing purchases and sales of apartment complexes,
- Negotiating and preparing commercial leases for landlords, warehouses, shopping centers, hospitals, plants, office buildings, and tenants
- Assisting with zoning, permitting and local licensing issues
- Establishing condominiums and subdivisions
- Advising both in and out-of-state lenders on title, survey, and local law matters
- Reviewing, drafting and negotiating construction agreements, development agreements, service contracts and related agreements
Our attorneys are particularly skilled in commercial financing. We have regular and extensive experience in representing lenders, borrowers, guarantors and other parties in major and complex commercial financing transactions of virtually every kind, including oil and gas financings, construction loans, credit enhancement in connection with public bond issuances and commercial loans secured by interests in real estate, oil and gas assets, equipment, inventory, accounts receivable, agricultural products, fiber-optic cables and related rights-of-ways, vessels, leasehold estates and many other kinds of collateral in or offshore Texas or Louisiana or elsewhere.
We regularly provide title services required for the financing, acquisition and other transactions we handle. Our firm's title insurance agency, Current Title Agency, L.L.C., writes title insurance for Commonwealth Land Title Insurance Company, First American Title Insurance Company and Lawyers Title Insurance Corporation and regularly issues large commercial title policies to both owners and lenders. We have also represented national title insurers in connection with claims litigation and represented the lead title insurer in connection with the re-issuance of the title policies on the New Orleans land-based casino project. We regularly negotiate and close loan work-out transactions and successfully pursue and defend complicated commercial foreclosures.
Some of our recent real estate transactions include:
- Representing a financial institution in connection with a hotel financing structured with new market tax credits
- Representing the purchasers in an acquisition of three large apartment complexes
- Representing a lender in a facility consisting of term loans, lines of credit and letters of credit secured by real estate, accounts receivable, equipment and inventory
- Representing the seller in divesting two apartment complexes
- Representing the purchaser in an acquisition of manufacturing facilities and the related financing transactions