|201 St. Charles Avenue|
New Orleans, Louisiana 70170-4000
504.679.9804 (direct line)
Virtual Business Card
summa cum laude,
Oregon State University,
Rick Shelby focuses his practice in Chapter 11 bankruptcy reorganization, oil and gas litigation, commercial litigation and corporate governance. He has successfully represented debtors, debtors in possession, creditors, and trustees in bankruptcy under Chapters 7, 11, and 13. Rick’s bankruptcy practice includes all aspects of motion practice and Chapter 11 disclosure statement and plan of reorganization drafting and confirmation. Rick has recently represented debtors and creditors in successful reorganizations including the following proceedings where he has acted as counsel in various capacities: Pel-Tex Oil Company, LLC; FEC Lafayette, LLC; Advocate Financial, LLC; New Orleans Paddlewheels and Virgin Offshore USA.
Rick also represents clients in all aspects of oil and gas litigation including the Louisiana Oil Well Lien Act (LOWLA), master service agreements, permitting, adjudication, lease renewals, work orders, and decommissioning offshore projects. Most recently, Rick represented a Chapter 11 trustee in negotiating and crafting a unique agreement with the debtor, Bureau of Ocean Energy Management (BOEM) and the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement (BSEE) to address issues on funding shortfalls and the debtor’s inability to meet federal regulations.
Rick is also an experienced litigator and has served as counsel in all areas of trial preparation including motion practice, discovery, depositions, mediations, mock trials, expert submissions and challenges, motions in limine and pre-trial planning. Rick has appeared before all federal and bankruptcy courts in Louisiana, and argued before the United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit in 2012.
Prior to practicing law, Rick worked for 15 years as an engineer and technical sales representative for the largest producer of crushed aggregates in the United States. In 2008, he earned his J.D. summa cum laude from Loyola University where he was a member of Loyola Law Review. In 2007, Rick was honored with the American Bankruptcy Institute’s Medal of Excellence in Bankruptcy. Rick actively volunteers with the New Orleans Pro Bono Project receiving the Century Award for pro bono representation in 2011. Rick has also been invited to speak on varying bankruptcy and oil and gas topics, most notably as a recent presenter for the 61st Mineral Law Institute.
Published Works & Presentations:
- Represented a privately held oil and gas company in an asset purchase agreement dispute against a reorganized Fortune 500 company.
- Represented a major international exploration and production company in offshore royalty litigation against another major exploration and production company.
- Represented a privately held oil and gas company in Louisiana state court in connection with an insurance coverage matter that was ultimately resolved in a successful reorganization of that company.
- Represented a large financial client in oil and gas lease dispute and foreclosure proceeding in Louisiana state court.
- Represented a title insurer in lien subordination action and purchase agreement dispute.
- Represented an international construction supply company in federal court open account litigation.
- Represented high net worth individuals in loan rearrangements and guarantee litigation in both federal and state court.
- American Bar Association
- Federal Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- New Orleans Bar Association
- Turnaround Management Association
- New Orleans CityBusiness Leadership in Law Award (2015)
- New Orleans Magazine "Top Lawyers" 2013 - Bankruptcy and Creditor Debtor Rights/Insolvency and Reorganization Law
- Pro Bono Century Award by the New Orleans Pro Bono Project (2011)